Applied Math (MAP) Update
Given that the summer and fall schedules have recently been released in preparation for advising, I wanted to take a moment to update you on what’s new in the world of MAP.
Anna Parton, Curriculum Development Specialist for The Transforming STEM Pathways grant, has been working with faculty to develop a contextualized applied math (MAP 117) equivalent to Introduction to Algebra (MATH 094) for various programs.
- As of today she has completed an MAP 117 for Healthcare (mostly MA students) and Automotive Technology (AUT).
- Under development and slated to be piloted in the fall are Industrial Systems Technology (IST) and Welding (WLD) as a standalone.
Of greatest importance to you and the point of this email is what that means for students within their respective programs because not all programs are adopting the MAP 117 in the same fashion based on their respective needs.
Here is the skinny, 4-1-1, inside scoop, etc.:
- Medical Assisting retired MAP 108 and adopted MAP 117
- Automotive Technology will be offering its traditional MAP 101 in the morning and provide students the opportunity/flexibility of enrolling in MAP 117 at a non-competing time in the afternoon.
- Similar to AUT is IST (electrical & mechanical) and the MAP 103.
- We will share more about Welding as things unfold. In the meantime please register students for the modality and/or time that works best for them.
~Rafael Villalobos; 04/30/19